Transmitter/Receiver Problem

Report your bugs here
Keychee

Transmitter/Receiver Problem

Post by Keychee » Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:11 am

Hey,

just bought the app. I've put the Transmitter AU in one App and the Receiver in another, just to get audio across. Unfortunatly this crashes the whole system. DSP goes to max and crackles come up like big time...

jorge
Site Admin

Re: Transmitter/Receiver Problem

Post by jorge » Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:45 am

Hi Keychee, thanks for letting me know.

I'll investigate, if you have more detailed info it would help.

I need to improve the TX and RX components to work when the sampling rate is different from transmitting app to receiving app, I wonder if that could be the issue. Also I think at the moment it might have a limit on the buffer size, so if you can find out the buffer size on both sides would be great too. I remember testing it for the most used buffer sizes like 256, 512 and 1024 but not bigger.

From what I remember I expect it to work well when both apps use the same buffer size from the ones mentioned above and same sampling rate.

Keychee

Post by Keychee » Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:20 pm

I'm using a 64 buffer, as I need ultra low latency for live performance. (I'm on a brand new iPad pro and it works perfectly fine with my setup). Sample rate is 48k.
I try to bring multiple audio tracks from Loopy Pro into AUM. Loopy does not have multi-track IAA nor multi-track via AUv3 (yet). So until an update brings that to Loopy I try to find a workaround.

jorge
Site Admin

Post by jorge » Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:27 pm

Sounds good,

64 sounds a bit too low, I can try to optimise it but not sure if I'll be able to, it might be a limitation of iOS/iPadOS due to the protections when sharing data between apps. Is 128 or 256 too high latency for you? If some of the audio you transmit is not live I could try doing latency compensation.

The issue with sample rate is when there is a mismatch between transmitting app and receiving app, if they're both 44.1k or both 48k it should be fine ( if the buffer size is not too low ).

Keychee

Post by Keychee » Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:02 pm

I always assumed that the sample rate is set for the whole system. I wasn't aware that different apps can have different sample rates? However, I'm always on 48k.
Yeah, 64 always worked performance wise, so I kept it that low. I'm looping in a live drumset and I'm playing guitar through BiasFX + finger drumming on a midi controller. I can really feel higher buffer sizes. I can try 128 and I guess it will be fine latency wise (although I imagine I can hear and feel it, but maybe that's just psychological, ha?)...

jorge
Site Admin

Post by jorge » Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:02 pm

Yeah, from a programming point of view I also thought the system always sets the sampling rate for all apps but I've seen a host somehow overriding it, I was surprised, hopefully it's very edge case as converting sample rates properly is not trivial.

In the past I bought NanoStudio and AUM to test the RX and TX plugins, I guess it could now be worth purchasing Loopy Pro to test your setup as it sounds like it could be a very useful one.

If there is enough interest I'll work on improving the RX and TX plugins, I had some ideas to make them more use friendly but there was almost no interest in them so it wasn't worth implementing, For example, the icons should be different, maybe one with label RX and the other with TX. I was thinking of providing some kind of visual feedback visible in the grid of channels so you see the activity before even selecting one channel.

Keychee

Post by Keychee » Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:58 pm

Yeah, I think there is a use case. I definitely can use it.
The problem with Loopy Pro is, even if the announced multi-channel out when used as an AUv3 is implemented, it would still not solve my problem because you can't host AUs within AUs, so I would prefer to run it standalone and put out the channels via IAA. But Loopy's dev told me he will not implement multi IAA anytime soon, so yeah. Your app seems like the pefect solution to my problem.

I'll test with a bigger buffer size as soon as I find time to do it.
I must be honest though, I'm using this in a live situation and anything that gives me the feeling it could crash while we play in front of a crowd I would not use....

Keychee

Post by Keychee » Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:20 pm

Alright. tested.
All 48k with 128 buffer. Still drop-outs and DSP in AUM up to 66%.(Without Transmitter/Receiver under 10%)